Wednesday 13 June 2012

MS Office - How to keep multiple instances with one as Default

I have came across the situation where I needed to have MS Office 2003 & 2007 both in my system, but that was very teasing that whenever I wanted to open my .xls files they automatically got opened in 2007 engine, although they work fine but some features behave abnormally when if you email these files to anyone who isn't having v2007 installed in his system. So I googled this issue of mine and found a very handy solution to that problem.

Click Start -> Run -> Type in the following command

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Excel.exe" /regserver

This is where my "Excel.exe" (v2003) file is placed you may alter this path as yours inside the quotation and then type /regserver at the end and press enter, It will load the necessary files of that version and next time whenever you wanna open files corresponding to that version they will automatically get opened in the engine that you register through this command.

No comments:

Post a Comment